Monday, May 18, 2009

Distraction!


Although I was too distracted by that photo to clearly read Mark's post the first few times around, I finally tore my femalegaze away from that fine naked torso to take in the content of his post.

Okay, I admit it: objectification happens to and by us all. I am not driven to attack anyone sexually because I've seen some attractive photographs. And given that, in our society, we are surrounded by pictures of attractive people on various media and most people do not rape other people, there may be no causal relationship between the two events.

Yet I find, even when I intellectually admit that Mark's similes may be true...

(See's Truffles are to Kittens w/cancer
as Objectification is to Rape)

...in my gut, I cling to the connection. I think it's because of how I feel when I see attractive or objectifying photos of women: conflicted. I admire these women for their great looks and their dedication to looking great, yet think less of them for spending so much time on their looks. I might like the clothing, but dislike that I can't afford these outfits; likewise with locations, fabulous places I'm unable to visit.

These photos bring out the worst in me, my insecurities, pettiness, envy. I don't like this mind trip that's been inflicted upon me (I never turn on the television but I can't hardly avoid the supermarket magazine racks). Daily, I am bombarded by images of "beautiful" women. I won't go as far as to say, "it's like rape", but there's a quality of violation. My day is altered by the insertion of celebrated, mass-distributed images that I wish I didn't have to see.

The other horrific part is that, if I give up the notion that objectification leads to abuse, then I'm left with the excuse, "it's human nature." That's too scary. I believe there are actions we can take to deter rape.

No comments:

Post a Comment