Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Women Lead the Revolution in Iran

After playing a leading role in the Iranian campaign, women are now
taking charge in the demonstrations protesting the rigged results.

"The iconic pictures from the revolution 30 years ago were bearded men. This shows the new face of Iran -- the young women who are the vanguards of Iran," says Karim Sadjadpour of the Carnegie Endownment. Last weekend, during the biggest demonstrations, "the protesters included many women, some of whom berated as 'cowards' men who fled the [thuggish] Basiji [militas]."

It's interesting to wonder how much the personal plight of women there fuels their courage politically. CNN quotes a 19-year old as saying "When they want to hit me, I say hit. I have been hit so many times and this time it doesn't matter. I just want to help my brothers and sisters."

No comments:

Post a Comment