Monday, March 30, 2009

All about the kids

3 goods topics there, Olga -- cleaning, women vs. girls and "what is success?" I'm gonna save the first two for later.

I myself work on the "mommy track" despite being a daddy. In other words, I stay with a lower-paying job that gives me flexible hours -- being able to take my daughters to school and pick them up at 2:15pm on the days I have custody (2-3 days per week), and work late the rest of the week. (The flexibility also gives me room to do standup comedy, write and blog in my spare time.)

In other words, this is about choices more than gender oppression. My ex-wife does not work "mommy hours" and earns more than I do. As a computer guy, I could definitely make more at a different job -- say, Intel, which employs 15,000 people locally -- but I wouldn't see my girls until 7pm or later on the days I have them, and they go to bed at 8. It's just not worth it.

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm a success. Maybe one reason for the statistic that "women earn 67 cents for every dollar men earn" is that women tend to define success more broadly than "who earns the most money." Maybe the guys who make more and don't see much of their kids are the ones who are losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment