Sunday, March 15, 2009

Meta One

I am already challenged by the nature of this discourse about gender, and not just because it's a heady topic. I am challenged by the demands of a conversation in which I have to be articulate, well-structured and logical. I don’t know whether my challenge is brought about by my lack of training in this arena (I was not on the debate team), the fact that I work in the arts and therefore operate a bit more often with the consensus of collaboration, or if it is a function of my feminine/intuitive brain. Few of my conversations are required to be so linear. Whatever the reason may be, and I suspect it may be a combination of these and perhaps more of which I am unaware, I will say that whenever I’ve been called upon to have this type of discussion, with argument and refutation, dialectic and synthesis, facts and figures that lead to a solid conclusion, it is with men. Ooops, sorry, but it's true; I find conversations with women are more open to interpretation, and can be successful even if many conclusions are reached. I don't have to defend my points as much. Perhaps if I were in a different field, say a lawyer...

Olga...

No comments:

Post a Comment